The Longhorn Sunday 19th April
April 19, 2020 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
THE LONGHORN 2020
Your favourite ‘The Longhorn’ is back! Sunday April 19th 2020
Choose 5k, 10k, half marathon, full marathon or 60k Ultra set in private areas of Sherwood Forest & the beautiful grounds of Thoresby Park; next to a Grade1 listed 19th Century country house in north Nottinghamshire; Thoresby Hall.
Running over old military roads, cleared tracks through ancient woodland and grassed paths around the country estate. The route includes a few hills to offer a small challenge around the course in the most scenic countryside & forest. The elevation is noted on the downloadable course map. The course has very firm hard ground if dry but if we get a lot of rain then there can also be a few muddy areas to run through.
Nothing looks more beautiful than the sunlight streaming through the leaves in this natural area of beauty. We have devised a race that takes you into Nottinghamshire’s National Nature Reserve, through private areas that were once part of the 10,000 acres Royal Forest of Sherwood where the woodland is dominated by native Oaks as well as other native trees including Silver Birch, Rowan, Holly and Hawthorn. The reserve is also the site of Europe’s oldest Oak tree woodland, containing over 1000 Oaks most of which are over 500 years old! It is here that the Longhorn Cattle of Thoresby Estate now roam freely, although being a very docile breed of cattle, they will be tucked away during our run race.
Canicross entries & Nordic Walkers are very welcome. Please ensure you enter under the specific category you wish to be registered under. Canicross 10k & half marathon run at 9am. 5k canicross run ahead of the 5k run group.
10k – Due to the number of 10k runners we have introduced a wave of runners at 11am & 2pm. Please book into the correct wave. There will be less participants on the 2pm wave.
Race numbers and your timing chip will be given out on the morning of the race. Please allow enough time to collect these from Race Registration.
The Ultra will have an 8 hour limit to complete the course & we will ask participants to finish prior to their final lap if they will finish after 4.30pm. Marathon runners must also finish before 4.30pm giving them a 7 hour time limit. Cut off is 3.15pm. After that you will not be permitted to continue another lap & we send an END RUNNER round the course to ask marshals to stand down & to ensure last participant returns safely. This is for your safety & to ensure course marshals can leave at a suitable time.
For runners on the half marathon, marathon & 60k Ultra you will be able to leave kit bags under cover of a gazebo at race village so you can grab food, change of shoes, socks & any other kit you need every time you pass by (every lap).
Our chosen charity partner – Lincs & Notts Air Ambulance are kindly assisting with the baggage drop this year. We are politely asking for a minimum donation of £1 per bag. We hope you can support them by fundraising for this event using a charity place & by donating on the day.
The Lincs & Notts Air Ambulance is at the forefront of Helicopter Emergency Medical Services (HEMS) in the UK, attending an average of three potentially life-saving missions every single day, 365 days of the year.
As a Charity we rely purely on public donations. We are not Government-funded and not part of the NHS. We provide the equivalent of an A&E department directly to the scene of some of the most serious and time critical 999 calls in Lincolnshire and Nottinghamshire.
We are also please to support Nottingham Hospitals Charity – they have several projects including Haywards House – a hospice for cancer patients & Nottm Childrens Hospital. We successfully raised over £2000 towards the Helipad Appeal on a previous project & have raised over £10,000 for the charity since SBR Events started. We hope you can support them by fundraising for this event using a charity place & by donating on the day.
The Longhorn will have the following:
- 5k family run/walk
- 10k run race at 11am & 2pm (1 lap)
- 1/2 marathon run race (2 laps)
- Marathon run race (4 laps)
- 60k Ultra (6 laps)
- Chip timing
- Regular water / feed stations around the course (for man & beast!)
- Toilets on course
- Route fully marshalled and signposted
- Distance markers
- Bespoke race finishers medal – new bling this year!
- Trophies for 1st, 2nd & 3rd man, woman
- Trophies for Veteran Winners; Male 40+ & Female 35+
- Canicross Winner Trophies
- Nordic Walking Winner Certificates
- Age group Certificates
- Certificates for ALL – sent by email
- Race photographer – free unlimited race photos
- Sports Therapist for free post race massage
- Full medical provision
- Ideal for novice through to elite
- Race village with hot food and beverages for sale
- Good Spuds providing high quality jacket potatoes, bacon butties & more!
- Little Sunshine Van providing home made cakes & hot drinks including specialist coffee & gluten free options
- Free bouncy castle for children
- Race partners at race village – to be confirmed
- Free onsite parking- please car share to save our environment.
- The 60k Ultra – 8:30am
- Canicross 10k & Canicross half marathon – 9am (there are so many entries & we let the dogs go early to avoid the heat!)
- Marathon – 9:30am
- 10k – in waves from 11.00 to 11.30am – fastest runners to the front. Please book into the 11am or 2pm wave
- Nordic Walkers Half Marathon only – approx 11.30am (at end of 10k waves)
- Half marathon – in waves from 11:50 to 12.05am
- 5k start 12.15pm
- 10k – in waves from 2pm – please book into the 11am or 2pm wave
- 5k Canicross start at beginning of 5k
- 5k & 10k Nordic Walkers join main field & start at back please (or where pace suits you most)
We welcome Canicross Runners across all distances – Water stations will be provided to dogs regularly out on course & at Race Village. Your dog must wear a running harness & be used to running with you. Remember they need to train too. Don’t expect your dog to run a distance just because you can! Please clean up after your dog & keep your dog on a lead at all times as this is a SSSI preservation area. Please book on using the Canicross category.
NORDIC WALKERS – please book on using the Nordic Walking category
Steve Ashman from Ashman Media produced this video of the 2019 event – thank you : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FsivjMTZ5o&feature=youtu.be
Xenium Studios produced this video of the 2016 event (thank you) : The Longhorn 2016 – a short film
To enter under EA affiliation you must have a valid EA membership number at time of booking.
EARLY BIRD PRICES END (TBC) (full prices are in brackets)
- EA Affiliated £42 (£55)
- Non-EA Affiliated £44 (£57)
- EA Affiliated £35 (£40)
- Non-EA Affiliated £37 (£42)
- EA Affiliated £26 (£32)
- Non-EA Affiliated £28 (£34)
- EA Affiliated £18 (£22)
- Non-EA Affiliated £20 (£24)
5k family friendly run / walk
- EA Affiliated Adult £8 (£10)
- Non-EA Affiliated Adult £10 (£12)
- Child £7 (£8)
- Family ticket (2 adults & 2 children) £32 (£38)
- Family ticket (2 adults & 3-4 children) £39 (£45)
See you on April 19th – to run round Nottinghamshire’s most beautiful course!
Collect Race number on the day at registration. A pre race email will be sent to all participants 1-2 weeks before the event with full information.
We will add more details about this race nearer the time
ENTRIES CLOSE 5th APRIL 2019
ON THE DAY ENTRY WILL BE AVAILABLE – CASH ONLY PLEASE
On the day entries prices:
5k Child – £10
5k – £15
10k – £30
HM – £40
Marathon – £50
60k Ultra – £60
JC Race Solutions